Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Imperial Red Ale, Rogue Ales, Newport Oregon

I sample this next beer at the Rogue brewhouse/restaurant in NW Portland. Part of their XS series, it is available in bottle and on tap.

It pours a deep hazy copper with a thin head.

The aroma is sweet mild malt with a mild hop.

The taste is medium/full body. Malt roastiness combines with the hop earthiness in the body. The bitterness builds in the finish. It is creamy and there isn't much sweetness. It is most pronounced in the finish with bold flavors and bitterness.

The aftertaste is all bitterness that lingers for awhile.

I'm not a huge fan of Reds, but put "Imperial" in front of any beer and I'm game - (Imperial PBR - why not?) I really enjoyed this red, bold and unafraid to announce it's character. I highly recommend it if it crosses your path!

Cheers!

No comments: