Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hoppe Imperial Extra Pale Ale, Southern Tier Brewing Company, Lakewood New York


This will be my last post for a bit - I am going out in the field once again....Heading north to brew! This will be my second time - last year I made a porter. The jury's out as of yet as to which style will be this years adventure, but I'm thinking something hopped up. We'll see....

Southern Tier has continued to impress me with their line of beers. Unfortunately, they are few and far between on the West Coast here. I did find a few at Bottleworks in Seattle though, so that encourages me that we are not cut-off from their brews. Todays sample is a minimalistic beer, let's try it out....

It pours a golden amber with a big head.

The aroma is big hop and yeast. It is very fresh and retains a super light white pepper fragrance.

It has a medium body - the bitterness builds in the body then finishes very bitter. Yeast and slight white pepper are noticeable in the finish as well. It is a flavorful fresh brew that is quite drinkable - especially if you are into the hoppy ones!

The aftertaste is mostly bitterness that lingers with a nice earthy tone.

At 10% this is a big beer. I definitely recommend it - it has regular availability in 22 oz bottles.

Cheers!

No comments: