Sunday, November 2, 2008

Route des Epices, Brasserie Dieu du Ciel, Montreal Canada


Our next beer is the first beer I will blog about from outside the US. It comes from our neighbors from the north. I was able to visit the Brasserie Dieu du Ciel on a trip to Montreal over the summer and it is DEFINITELY one of my favorite breweries/brewpubs I've been to. It is small, with a lot of dark wood - small tables - very European feel to it. They had abundant beers on tap and I was surprised to find their beers back in Boston. A few weeks ago, I was happy to find their beers at my local beer store - Belmont Station. They have some curious ales and the one I will blog today is their rye beer brewed with peppercorns -

It pours a deep amber with an off-white tight head.

It has a malty aroma with a lot of sweetness. It almost has a christmas ale smell - general spiciness.

The taste is malty and the sweetness carries into the taste. It has a full body and the peppercorns are very evident. It's got a burnt peppercorn flavor. It's spicy but not overwhelming. Though the peppercorn flavor is evident, it doesn't dominate the palate.

The aftertaste is peppery and sweet. The peppercorn flavor dissipates fairly quickly leaving a general spiciness in the mouth.

It is 5% and brewed with black and green peppercorns. I've only found Dieu du Ciel beers in the 11.5 oz bottles.

Since I was able to find their beers at Belmont, I am confident that distinguished beer stores out there will either have or be able to get the Dieu du Ciel beers. They are carefully crafted ales that add an interesting twist on great beer. Happy beer hunting!

Cheers!



No comments: